Why students join Hirschi clubs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why students join Hirschi clubs

Mesonma Alexis Anwasi, Author

Many students don’t understand the importance of getting involved in extracurricular activities, nor do they understand all the benefits that come with them. The truth is that students just don’t know about these clubs, and in turn, they don’t know the benefits of them. Extracurricular activities can help high school students get accepted into more colleges, it helps hone skills, and it gives the student focus.

According to a study conducted by Erin Massoni from the college of DuPage, students who participate in extracurricular activities tend to have reduced behavior problems, higher grades, positive attitudes, and many more. If students heard about all the pros to entering in extracurricular activities, there would most likely be significantly more students participating in extracurricular activities. If this infographic could get just one student to join an extracurricular activity, the purpose/main goal of the infographic would be accomplished.

The following are interviews taken from a variety of students involved in extracurricular activities at Hirschi: Math Team (Krishna Reddy), Video Game Club (Connor Nielsen), Science Team (Ila Kamath), and Yearbook (Abbie Cain):

Is your club currently open to new members?

KR: “Yes.”

CN: “Yeah.”

IK: “Yes.”

AC: “You can’t really get into it right now, but we switch the staff.”

What is your club all about?

KR: “Math and helping others and competing and learning how to excel in something and learning how to achieve their potential in life.”

CN: “We sit down and we play video games and we’re actually thinking of getting more consoles and things to play.”

IK: “Our club is about increasing your knowledge in science and using your knowledge for state and competitions.”

AC: “It’s about providing annual coverage for everybody. We take activities that happen, and even if they’re small things, we try to make them seem really important just so everybody feels they are equally involved.”

What makes your club different/stand out from other clubs? Reflect on that/Why?

KR: “Because we have a program that has proven multiple times that we are one of the best in Texas.”

CN: “Other clubs, I guess, are just always stuck up, we just like to have fun. Even our sponsor will have fun with us sometimes when he’s not grading.”

IK: “Anyone can join our club at any time no matter their knowledge of science just to increase their fundamental knowledge.”

AC: “It takes a lot of time. With sports and stuff, you have a practice time everyday, so you have a block schedule, whereas with yearbook, as you get closer to a deadline you’re progressively spending more time. At the beginning you’re staying after school two days a week, but the closer you get to a deadline you’re staying everyday after school until 6 or 7 at night. It takes more time.”

What is the best thing about your club? Why?

KR: “Definitely has to be the opportunity to compete because then you get an experience of what it is like to be in the real world.”

CN: “We just sit down and have fun.”

IK: “I’d say it is if you make it that far [state] you get to travel to different places for different competitions along with the rest of your team.”

AC: “I love it because at the end of the year you know that people are going to get to see it, and it’s kind of like an accumulative growth, so you get to grow a little bit with the book, and it’s cool.”

What would you change about your club, if you could change something about it?

KR: “Nothing.”

CN: “Most of the things that we’d change is some controllers are breaking and we want to do a fundraiser, but we’re not an actual club yet so we have to try to get that to be a thing.”

IK: “I would change the consistency of meetings; I’d make it a bit more solid- make it more scheduled.”

AC: “I wish we had more funding which is just normal, but it’d be easier to get stuff done if we had a bunch of cameras so that we could just easily get them out, or SD cards, and different lenses. Also communication- we don’t know when basketball is going to be leaving or football is leaving or sports and stuff, and we have to be able to get there and get pictures, and it’s just hard without communication.”

What are you and your club members looking forward to accomplishing this school year? Any different plans for next year?

KR: “Winning state, and next year win state also.”

CN: “This school year we want to become a club and next year probably do a fundraiser so that we can get stuff.”

IK: “This year we at least want to make it to state in at least one of the events- making it as a team would be even better, but next year we hope to win state in at least one of the events or maybe as a team if we get that good.”

AC: “I’m excited because this yearbook is going to be different than any other yearbook that we’ve done in recent years. It’s going to be kind of like a throwback yearbook, so it’s more vintage-y and sketchy (doodles). It’s going to be different this year- cool and fun, and I’m very excited. For next year, I don’t know. It will be up to the junior editor from this year and the senior editor next year.”

What kind of skills/thought processes are needed to meet accomplishments for your club? (What kind of students are you looking for to join your club?)

KR: “You need to be able to learn how to practice and apply your skills. All people are allowed.”

CN: “Thought processes- just able to hold a controller and press buttons, and anyone that wants to just come. Right now we’re playing Smash Brothers, but I’m thinking of bringing my computer and playing other games.”

IK: “You need to be able to retain memory- high retention is very important in science because most of science is knowledge- knowing a lot of things. [We’re looking for] Dedicated students. Science doesn’t necessarily require so many mathematical skills or other types of skills like hands-on skills. It just requires you to be able to dedicate your time to studying and reading.”

AC: “People who are comfortable talking with other people, so you have to be okay with doing a lot of interviews, and you have to be comfortable with the camera. You have to have a lenient schedule; you’ll have to be able to give a lot of time to yearbook.”

What would you say to students who are looking to try out for your club?

KR: “They should talk to Mr. Newberry.”

CN: “Have free time and come and enjoy games.”

IK: “To try out you should just start coming to the meetings, and start paying more attention in your science classes and maybe doing a little exploration on your own.”

AC: “Be aware of the commitment that it takes. It’s not something you can just do in 45 minutes or an hour after school everyday. It’s something that takes a passion for it, (e.g.) you love making the yearbook, so you want to make it good.”

What does your club prepare students for?/ What is the goal of your club?

KR: “The goal of the club is to develop thinkers and let them compete.”

CN: “You have a faster thought process and faster reflexes than you would if you’re just a regular child.”

IK: “If you want to do science, you can do it, but if you are going into a field in the sciences it could help you with future college courses and such.”

AC: “It gives students time management skills. We have to be able to go and take pictures, then come back and upload the pictures, and find out who’s in the picture. It takes a lot of time management for deadlines, and it also establishes how to get a task done, step by step, (e.g.) get the picture, upload the picture, get the person, get the interview, make the story. It teaches people how to prioritize.”

Could you please give 3 reasons on why students should join your club?

KR: “We have a great teacher, Mr. Newberry, we are very peaceful and calm, and we’re very good, so we have a lot of resources.”

CN: “I can’t really give reasons, if you want to, you can, it’s pretty fun; we have a lot of fun

IK: “One, because we need more team members who are dedicated. Two, because it increases your fundamental knowledge in a fun and engaging way, and three, because it is an amazing experience to go to state with a team that cares so much about something as you do.”

AC: “It is fulfilling. At the end of the year, it is something you are so freaking proud of. It’s fun, you get to bond with your staff because it’s a smaller group of people who are all working towards something behind the scenes, so you all bond in that respect. (Final reason:) Mrs. Slusher.”