The Husky Howl

Growing closer, a friendship formed by design

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Alexis Gray and Lydia Acuna laugh over memories of their three years of friendship. “We both are very different than a lot of the people here, so we just bond over that fact,” Gray said. “Lydia is the best friend I could ever have. I can’t wait to make more memories with her,” Acuna said.

Alexis Gray

It was not fate that played a part in placing seniors Alexis Gray and Lydia Acuna into each other’s lives.

They have been best friends for three years, and it is only the beginning  for the duo. Every time the two are around each other, the love is undeniable.

“We met at school, but we got to know each other at church when my sister invited Alexis and her mother,” Acuna said.

In the beginning, they were just acquaintances, but seeing each other outside of school is what made their bond grow stronger

“We go to church every Wednesday and Sunday, and we also have bible study by ourselves that help us to bond over what we both believe in,” Gray expressed.

The two have made a bond that is undeniably present in their lives. From casually hanging out to having deep talks, the two have only growncloser.

“One time we went to the Wichita Mountains, climbed them, got blankets that were as long as a door and we just laid together and talked about life,” Acuna recalled.

The two share traditions that are just for them. Their special place is Burger King. They go there every Wednesday with a handful of coupons. “We bond over being cheap,” Gray joked.

The friends are not exactly alike though. Acuna is from Zacatecas, Mexico and Gray is from Nassau, Bahamas. Because Gray and Acuna are from countries other than America, and celebrate different cultures, this fact only makes their relationship stronger.

“We both are very different  than a lot of the people here, so we just bond over that fact,” Gray said. “Lydia is the best friend I could ever have. I can’t wait to make more memories with her.”

The duo is a perfect example of the fact that friendship knows no preference on culture, race, beliefs or any other difference that may exist between people friendship knows only how to love.