Coming together: Students celebrate diversity

Sophomore+Martina+Maria+Bafile+poses+happily+for+the+camera.+Despite+all+the+insecurity%2C+Bafile+found+her+confidence+while+making+her+name+known+in+the+school.+%E2%80%9CIn+a+year+I+found+stability+and+learned+how+to+speak+and+write+in+English%2C%E2%80%9D+Bafile+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Martina Maria Bafile poses happily for the camera. Despite all the insecurity, Bafile found her confidence while making her name known in the school. “In a year I found stability and learned how to speak and write in English,” Bafile said.

Cherissa Banag

Sophomore Martina Maria Bafile was born in Treviso, Italy; however, her entire point of view changed once she moved to America.

Martina first moved to America her freshman year and was suddenly immersed in a different environment than she was used to. First, she noticed how different the school practices were in America than in Italy. Martina was also insecure about communicating to others, but in a year she found her confidence and learned how to speak and write in English.

“I had to get used to the new environment, and it was hard to get used to staying away from my friends and family,” Martina said.

But being from another country benefited Martina because everyone became interested in her background.

“A lot of people already asked me some questions about my country, and it’s cool to see you guys so curious,” she said.

Nevertheless, she missed her home country.

“I obviously miss pizza, but what I miss the most are my friends and family. And it seems weird, but I miss the landscape that I used to see outside my house.”

In addition to that, she felt self-conscious.

“During last year I felt very insecure. I was scared about not being fluent in the language, and not being able to communicate even when I felt like I had something depressing to say.”

Despite all the insecurity, she found her confidence while making her name known in the school.

“In a year I found stability and learned how to speak and write in English.”